Tuesday, 10 September 2013

University Survival Guide

In keeping with my last post on moving away from home I decided to share some things that have made my time in University a lot easier!


Share With Each Other
If you live in halls of residence or even a flat share with a few people sharing cooking can really save you a lot of time and money. I really didn't realise how lucky I was to have my dinners made for me almost every day when I lived at home until I moved and had to fend for myself. If there are four people in the house, each person takes a turn at cooking for everyone for one night (Monday to Thursday) and then everyone fends for themselves for the other three days of the week. It means the kitchen isn't always chaotic with everyone fighting for the oven and you can even turn it into your very own 'Come Dine with me' to add a little bit of fun!

Money Jar
If there are a few of you sharing a kitchen/living room, start a little money jar (a ‘piggy bank’ even!) that everyone throws their loose change into every week or so. If there are four or five of you living together this is £4 or £5 that you can put towards buying washing up liquid, sponges, toilet cleaner or any cleaning products you all need. It means you don't have to steal someone else’s stuff if you run out because you've all put money towards buying them. Also, no excuses for not washing your dishes!

Clean Up After Yourself
Often Uni accommodation isn't the biggest, most glamorous place in the world and in my experience, there was only ever one communal area - the kitchen! If everyone just does their bit and bothers to clean up after themselves it really will make the house a happier place. Arguing over spilt milk is silly but it really does happen!

Student ID Card
Don't forget this, ever! They can save you money here and there that does add up. Be it at the cinema, in Topshop or even at a lot of hair salons, you can get great discounts - just ask at the till. This is money saved that you can put towards a drink on Friday night.. or a book.. I trust your judgment!

Don't Forget
If you are moving far away for Uni you might be restricted with what you can bring the first time you go. Obviously you need to bring clothes for going out and for lectures, but be sure to check what your accommodation provides (pots, pans, utensils, bed linen etc..). I somehow managed to survive for a few weeks with only a sleeping bag so don't sweat it, roughing it won't kill you, though a duvet wouldn't have hurt!

Being Ill
During the first few weeks of Uni all the older students were talking about the “freshers’ bug”. I didn't know what that was until I got it!! You've just been given the key to your very own pad, nobody telling you to eat your greens, lots of big events to attend every night – However, copious amounts of alcohol does eventually catch up with you and that, my friend, is the “freshers’ bug”. Don't say that nobody warned you! In my case, it was the first time I was sick without someone to run around and get everything for me, so I had to face the world head on and drag myself to the nearest pharmacy for the cure!

Reading List
I received all of my reading lists WELL in advance of the course beginning. Did I go and buy them all with excitement? Yes. Did I read even one of them? No. It didn't destroy my grades, but it did mean I had to work a LOT harder during the year to keep up and I definitely won't be leaving it to the last minute this year. Put in a little bit of effort and you will reap the rewards!

Have Fun
University is such a brilliant experience and sometimes it's easy to get bogged down and forget how lucky you are to be there. There's a reason everyone says "I wish I had my Uni/College days back", working in the real world is hard and you probably won't ever have this much freedom again even if you think you're constantly in class or doing assignments, it's probably more fun than working!



No comments:

Post a Comment