Monday, 29 July 2013

Life After University

I am by far the most fickle person, ever! I just can't make my mind up and stick with one thing. I even considered writing a different post just now.

One of the most exciting parts of looking for a job is the opportunity to pursue any career you want. Got your A-levels - check, Degree in the bag - check, now for the easy part, right? Throw out a few CVs to get the job you've always dreamed of! 

Alas, it's not that easy. You can't expect to compete with other job seekers if you don't know what you're competing for. With so many people with such great qualifications it isn't quite as easy as handing out a couple of CVs. 

                                   
    
I am going into my second year of English Literature with a minor in Law. I go to a great University and I'm doing well, I just don't know what I actually want to do next.  I'm stuck between going into Law and doing a masters or using my degree to work in the big bad world of PR. The thing is, I genuinely think I'd love either of them. So how do I decide? I have spoken to the Uni careers advice team, I've spoken to people who work in both professions. I think the only way to decide is by getting work experience

over the duration of my degree. So, I have done my research and I've spoken to both law and PR companies I tick all their boxes bar one, I don't have experience. How can I have experience if nobody will give me any? Back to the drawing board (banging my head off the wall)!

Not knowing what to do can be really overwhelming and a little bit disheartening. One thing I do know for sure, I want to work in London and I'm sure it has something for me, I just hope I realise what it is soon


No comments:

Post a Comment